Saturday, July 28, 2007

Didn't your Mama teach you? Part II

I think the list here should cover most of what needs to be taught to Aaron at this moment. The little guy will only be 1 next week! But, its never too young to start. Just think about how much cuter the well mannered toddlers are.

11) I missed a really important one in my previous list! Always use 'Please' and 'Thank You' without exception.

12) Use both hands when receiving (gifts, drinks, business cards etc). Except when its just being passed (eg the salt).

13) Use both hands when giving. Once again, the exception is when you are just passing something along.

14) When deciding on a gift, put thought into it and give something that the other person will enjoy. It shows you care.

15) When faced with the choice of two items and you are with another person, always offer the 'better' item to the other person.

16) Stand up when you're talking to somebody. Firstly, it shows respect for the other person. Secondly, it hurts your own neck to look up at that awkward angle. This one scored me a lot of points with the nuns at school.

17) When interacting in a group, use the language that everybody understands. No talking to one or more other people in something that the others don't understand. Also, no whispering.

18) No pointing. Its going to be tough if Aaron doesn't grow out of his current 'Magic Finger Point'. Its like his steering wheel. Imagine carrying him or pushing him along with that little finger always sticking out and dictating direction. I don't want that to morph into pointing at people.

19) No name calling. Definitely. Children will obviously be descriptive so it is important to teach them not to hurt others with their description. This one ties with not saying anything if you don't have anything good to say. I'll have to start watching what I say at home. I have a tendency to be 'descriptive' and I wouldn't want Aaron repeating when we're out.

20) I think this next one is usually only taught in the west. Opening doors, offering seats, allowing other people to walk first. I never notice it much in Malaysia. Its something that I would like to teach Aaron.

Thats about it for the 1 yr old's Manners List. Obviously, this would be a living document in my mind....

3 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean-Luc Picard said...

A good list Amanda; as you say, #11 is an important one.

NomadicExpat said...

Yes, chilvary is high on my books. However, for some reason, the guys here still do not offer to help carry your humongous, heavy bag with your laptop in it especially when the laptop is in one of my big handbags. I guess they dont like to be seen carrying a handbag! ;-)

Y'know, I think it's important too to teach kids how to say No in a polite way and I dont mean just saying, "No Thank You", more like "No, I dont think this is fine with me and therefore, I do not want to do it". I learned from my parents to come up with a stupid excuse instead of being more assertive.