Saturday, July 21, 2007

People of Palembang


9 out of 10 people I meet here in Palembang are upbeat about life. It doesn't matter that before they speak, their faces are furrowed with lines and they appear to have huge burdens on them. They definitely are poor and do have never ending financial problems but they have a great way of looking at things and accepting their situation. I'm not saying they don't worry, they do. They have problems just enrolling their children in school because of all the costs involved. However, they find pleasure in such simple things in life as a fluffy cat or catching a pigeon for dinner. Yes, my driver did just that (catch a pigeon) yesterday. He's still fattening it up at home I think.

1 comment:

NomadicExpat said...

Fattening the pigeon up for... a meal?! :-D Hee hee.

The sad part is that these people want to work, but there just isnt any work for them. That's what I found when I was in Bali talking to the locals there. Meanwhile, where I am, there are so many opportunities and yet, people aren't "hungry" enough.