Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Market on Wheels

Each morning, several ladies push their vegetable carts through the neighborhood yelling out 'Sayur' meaning 'Vegetables'. They tend to be more expensive but are extremely handy for emergencies. The vegetables are usually as fresh as you'd find them in the actual market but of course, there isn't as much variety on the little cart.

I had a short chat with this lady and found out that she is 45 years old and already has THREE grandchildren. People really start their lives early over here.....

2 comments:

NomadicExpat said...

Well, if you start having babies at around 18, and your kids start having their babies at 18, you will be a grandma at the age of 36! Here I am approaching 33 and still hubby- and baby- less. Haha. I almost want to say barren, but then, I can't coz I dont know if I'm until I try having kids (with or without getting married first!) :-)

Those vegetable carts remind me so much of growing up in Malaysia. I still remember this lady that my mom sometimes buy her vegetables and tofu from. She does the "Sayur" thing but in Cantonese. I dont see her around anymore. There used to be this couple who sells wanton noodles on their motorbike carts. Both of them are such nice people and sometimes their kids come along as well. I do wonder what happened to them at times.

Amanda said...

The Wonton Noodle seller's kids are probably professionals. Hopefully you're not seeing the sellers anymore because the kids are supporting their retirement and they are relaxing at home.