Monday, July 30, 2007

What shall I wear?

Previously it was just a matter of what would look good and what was comfortable. Now, on top of that, I have to think about what will be convenient and safe. Convenient to feed Aaron discreetly in public. Safe from his constantly itchy fingers AND teeth. He just fidgets with all my clothes and if there is anything hanging off them, he tried to take a bite!

Non breastfeeders often think that a button down blouse is the easiest. I really haven't found that to be the case at all. If you undo the buttons from the bottom....you need to undo 4 out of 6 to get enough access. If you undo from the top, you're completely exposed, especially when the baby opens the shirt up more than is required. And have you tried doing up buttons while holding a baby?

So then, why not throw something over your shoulder? Like a scarf? That works when the baby is younger than 4 or 5 months. After that, he needs a view with his meal!

So what will it be? T-shirts or blouses that aren't too fitting normally work well. They can't be too long because its hard to yank up all that shirt and keep it off the baby's face. I also like those nursing tank tops that unclip at each shoulder strap.

For tomorrow, I'll be using a combination of the T-shirt and the nursing tank top. Its cold on those night flights and I don't want to be exposing my abdomen so this will be the perfect combination. Lift the short shirt up, undo the top of the tank and I'll have full access with complete coverage!

Did you really want to know all that? Perhaps not...but its the type of thing that I spend ages thinking about.

4 comments:

NomadicExpat said...

If those skimpily dressed celebrities have no problems exposing their boobs, why can't you? ;-) Just kidding! Errm... no idea. I jsut think that it might just be easier to pump and feed the baby in a bottle when in public, no? But, what do I know...

Amanda said...

No no no....nursing is much easier. Plus I enjoy it. I just have to spend a bit more time on co-ordinating my outfits.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

This is a problem that fortunately I don't have!

Bliss said...

i used to wear button-down shirts with a tube top or short tank top underneath. unbutton, pull out a boob, and everything else is covered. i don't know if they still sell them. i had a lot of half tank tops 10 years ago. the tube tops were actually easier cuz it seemed better to pull the top down than up (as with the tank top).