Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Raw Metal and the Tap Dogs

Raw Metal is the group of funky tap dancers that started back in 1998 and have now grown to be Raw Dance Company. I love tap! Today, we took a long drive to Redbank to watch a lunch time performance by the group and my feet can't stop tapping now.

Ever since I was a kid I pretended to tap. Somehow, I never went for any lessons back then, too many boring music lessons I guess. Anyway, it wasn't until I went for a Tap Dogs concert that I decided to go for some classes. No, they are dogs with taps on. They were originally a group of Australian steel workers. Go click on the link I have up there. Click videos, sit on the edge of your chair and tap along!

Anyway, there were no Tap Dog lessons back then so I signed up with the next best thing, Raw Metal. This was during my last trip to Brisbane a couple of years ago and it was so much fun. Syncopated rhythms, stomping, clapping.....it works the brain as well as the body. So, its not that I can tap well, but I can do some stuff, especially when I'm alone and nobody is watching. I'll have to let Aaron watch me so that he can be a Tap Pup. If there is anything I really want him to be be, its a TAP PUP!

Next trip, next year, we'll BOTH go for lessons again.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Where can I find out more about "Raw Metal"? Are they similar to Tap Dogs?

Terrence Taps
www.TapDanceBlog.com

noisms said...

My mum forced me to take tap dancing lessons for about six years; I never stopped hating it. Don't do the same to Aaron! Have mercy! ;)

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Tap Dogs is something I've never seen!

Sandra said...

My daughter is always pretending to tap, it's pretty funny and the other day she saw some tap dancers on tv and was just shocked that their shoes have things to make the noise LOL

Amanda said...

Aw....Noisms, How could you hate it? Just kidding....It is in the back of my mind that a little boy will hate going to dance classes. But, just like your mom, I'm going to try anyway. I will be more lenient though if he doesn't like it.

noisms said...

Well, if he's anything like me, you'll be able to tell pretty easily if he doesn't like it!

I think I understand the motherly thought processes when it comes to things like that. My mother genuinely didn't get that I really did prefer playing football and rolling around in mud than pleasant activities like dancing and playing the piano...

Unknown said...

Jean Luc,

The Tap Dogs show is available on VHS or DVD at Amazon.com. You can also find clips on YouTube I'm sure. It's a pretty cool show.