Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Internet all the time!

In 1995, I fell in love with the internet. I still remember sometimes using a UNIX based computer at the university that had the black background with bright green text for old style IM-ing. At home, web surfing was slow and painful on a 14.4kbps Modem but I didn't notice it back then. When we were making the decision to move here to Palembang, the first thing I asked was "Do they have Broadband?". If they didn't, I wouldn't have moved.

I came across an interesting article yesterday about the Mobile Web. Its all about accessing the internet via mobile phones like the iPhone or just pure mobile internet devices like the Nokia N810.

Now I'm definitely not one of those people who likes to stay up to date with the latest mobile phone. In fact, I haven't purchased any with my own money. They have either been company phones or hand-me-downs from family members who have upgraded.

BUT, I would buy myself an iPhone or whatever equivalent there is when we move back to a place where I can sign up for mobile internet services. (No, I won't become like one of those constant SMS-ers....I'll have it under control). Just a few weeks ago I thought that the only thing Fitness First (with 10,000 TVs and personalised volume control) was lacking was internet access. There are so many instances in our lives where access to the internet would make the time much more interesting. The mobile web (or accessing the internet from mobile devices) is probably still not mature enough now but I'll be here for another year. Thats plenty of time in the Telecommunications industry! Right now, accessing the internet from a mobile phone is still not a mainstream activity yet.

Its interesting to think about the new businesses just waiting to reap the rewards when this does get mainstream. Companies will need Mobile Websites that are customized for use on a mobile phone's browser. I think its called a wap site. I'm a bit behind in my technology news these days and only recently read about SMS marketing but I imagine Mobile marketing will be the next up and coming thing too.

*sigh* The world is so exciting! So many cool gadgets and technologies out there. I can't wait to share it all with Aaron but not quite yet. His undivided attention on me is limited and I'm not going to share it with the internet or computer games any time soon. There are only so many years that I can be the sole influencer on my son's values and attitudes.

2 comments:

Bilbo said...

Maybe it's just me, but I think a telephone should be used to make phone calls. I have a hard enough time surfing on the full-sized screens of my iMac and my laptop ... I can't see the point of trying to surf on the 2x3 inch screen of a cell phone or similar handheld device. I guess I'm just cranky and outdated that way. Sigh.

Amanda said...

No, you're not cranky or outdated. I can see your point too. Its a little crazy to squint over such a small screen but think of the advantages when you're stuck in a HUGE traffic jam. Or waiting in line at the doctor's clinic.

The telephony part of the device would be needed to access the wireless protocols so.....might as well use it for the occasional phone calls.

Thats my opinion anyway.