Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Perks Of Being A Mother

All the news on the swine flu is worrying me. Yes, we can do our best to avoid crowded places and keep clean but all that thought about a pandemic has been weighing heavily on me. I feel particularly uneasy being here in Indonesia because if anything breaks out here, I doubt the authorities would be effective in putting any plans into action. As it is, there has been so little awareness or action taken on the dangers of the bird flu here and that virus has already been making its rounds around Indonesia.

Anyway, I don't want to dwell on this. A few days ago, Tanya tagged me for a meme that aims to hear from blogging mothers around the world. Something like "around the world in 80 clicks". I checked back to the blog where this originated and it has surpassed 80 already but is still going on.

The meme is to share the 5 things you love about being a mother. So, here are mine...

1) Getting cuddles, kisses and "I love you's" out of the blue and for no reason.

2) Being able to fix (almost) everything with a smile and a laugh. Life is still so simple for Aaron. Even if I send him for a time-out, he doesn't hold a grudge and all is forgotten once I smile at him.

3) Watching his purity. Aaron is all honesty and sincerity at the moment. He doesn't know anything about wearing masks. When he's happy (which is everyday), he can't contain it. Sometimes, even watching his sadness is amazing because it is so raw.

4) Introducing Aaron to new food. I love eating and am fairly adventurous. Aaron is also turning out to be quite the food lover. He's willing to try anything I'm eating and often ends up liking it too.

5) Watching him imitate us. Almost everyday, we get a funny moment when we see him either repeating something we have said or imitating something that we do. I know there will be the inevitable embarrassing moment but 90% of it is good stuff at the moment.

I usually don't tag anybody when I do memes but I thought I would pass this along to at least one other person to help this move around the world. So, I'm tagging my dear friend, Kelly, in Malaysia. Her blog is actually in Chinese, so it will be interesting to see where the meme goes from here.

7 comments:

John A Hill said...

It will be a sad day when the hurts of the the heart get to the point that a kiss and a hug no longer make everything all better...but at least a kiss and a hug will still be welcomed!

Cynthia said...

I love watching them imitate...they are so cute!

Mike said...

If you're getting a 90% return on #5 you're doing really good.

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia said...

I'm a little freaked out about the flu, too. I have kind of overdosed E on Purell, but it makes me feel better, lol.

I hear you about the ability to fix things with a smile ... E is the same way about timeout. By the time her 2 minutes is up, she's all hugs and loveys.

That is such a great list. Those are all amazing things!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It's in Mexico where people really need to worry.

egan said...

These are very good things about parenting. I very much love how a smile can turn things around so quickly. I like how short they hold grudges too, if at all.

I think it's so amazing to watch a person grow. It's so cool to see their heads just figure things out.

Bilbo said...

Well said! I think the same as I watch my grandchildren grow up.