Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday in Palembang

We usually avoid going to any malls on the weekends because everybody will be there and it is extremely noisy. I find it unsettling and usually end up with a headache.

However, for some reason or other, we've needed to brave the crowds and go out there for the past few weekends. Today, I was prepared. I kept myself relaxed, drank lots of water and armed myself with a camera as distraction from all the noise and people. There weren't as many sights as I would have liked to take photos of but that always happens when you're prepared. Its when you don't have your camera that the good shots present themselves. Here are the few scenes I did find interesting.


I don't want to comment on the girl being made to wear the traditional headscarf at such a young age. All I want to say is "Isn't she CUTE?!"



Here's one of the three A&W outlets in Palembang. I was surprised when I found out that McDonalds only has one outlet. There are also three KFCs. The menus at all three fast food chains are localized to include rice and extra spicy foods.


Grammatically strange but you get the idea. The problem is that most people here don't read English. How will those women know that they have priority parking there? OK. They did have the small font translation. And the other thing, that sign only came up after all the good parking spots were filled. I wonder how many women do benefit from this but at least the thought is there.

In the end, we had a reasonably pleasant time there although our mission to get the sesame seed oil and 28 inch non stick pan failed. We did manage to leave with the Milo; our much loved breakfast drink.

2 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow, this was so interesting to read and see the photos again Amanda. I love your view from your world. And good question on the sign?!??

Bilbo said...

As always, your pictures give a fascinating window into a part of the world I'll probably never see. I think I'd have terminal culture shock seeing an A&W or KFC place in Indonesia (much like the jarring sensation of finding my first Chinese restaurant in Germany). The photo of the little girl with the headscarf was indeed cute, but it's sad that a child gets sucked into such a religious tradition so early. And the reserved parking for lady drivers is a hoot - here in America we often have reserved parking for women who are pregnant, but not just for women in general.