Sunday, April 27, 2008

An evening with new friends

For those of you who visit here regularly, you'll know that I have almost no friends here in Palembang. I must admit that I haven't been putting myself out there enough but my excuse is that I try not to disrupt Aaron's schedule too much.

This evening, we went for the monthly English Mass at St Joseph's. Its only my second time there because they haven't had it for a few months and the other times, I wasn't around. Anyway, the last time I attended was sometime last year. And, I didn't get to talk to anyone much after the mass because we rushed home due to Aaron's extremely early bedtime back then.

Today happened to be the first anniversary of them starting this monthly English mass and they had organized a little get together afterwards at somebody's house. We didn't really know anybody but they were so inviting that we tagged along anyway. I guess this is the only way we're going to get to know anybody. No sense in being shy now!

The people were interesting, open and I really enjoyed the conversation. It was only this afternoon that I was complaining that we've been here too many months without a break. The hostess was an Indonesian woman who is married to a Filipino guy. The guy is in some band and is rarely home so it was his Filipino friend that helped her with preparing the food. The food was a tasty mix of Filipino and Indonesian Chinese style cooking.



That nun in the photo is a Brazilian that has been in Palembang for 2 years trying to start their mission here. I didn't catch what order she belonged to. She said that they haven't really got things going yet but she did have one postulate and another girl waiting to become a postulate. You can see them in the background, at the sink. So, I've volunteered my services with them for whenever they needs help :)

We didn't stay too long after dinner because Aaron was starting to 'fade' but at least we know a few more people now. People that we can have easy conversations with. There were even two other little kids for Aaron to play with.

*sigh* It was a boring Sunday to start off with but turned out to be pretty fun in the end. I had planned to post some photos of the Family Motorcycle today but I'll do it tomorrow instead.

3 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

That is so cool. I know it's so hard to step out into friendships, but this is a start. And it's hard when our babies need to keep with the schedule. All five of mine have been terrific sleepers and scheduled. I love the picture. It's a great glimpse into your life there.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

It sounds like a lovely time. It's amazing how quickly you can connect with a little networking! Very cool!

Cynthia said...

Good for you! I need to do more of that...you're right, it's hard to make new friends:)