Thursday, May 31, 2007

How do you date???

I don't know whether to feel happy or old school about this statement:
"I met my husband 9 years ago and we'll be married 7 years this coming July. We met at work."

Well, I guess I'm happy because....we're happy.

Its the old school side to it that has me thinking today. I've been out of the dating scene for ages now and most of my friends are already married so obviously, I'm quite out of touch with how things work.

I do have a couple of single friends and from what they say, it doesn't sound like as much fun as it used to be. Its all online, just like most things in life. You can even Find Romance with Yahoo Personals No more asking your best friend to check if he's looking. Or, 'accidentally' meeting in a corridor for some boring conversation. I know, I know, people are all too busy with work and need to make dating more efficient.

They get straight to the point nowadays. Go online, read the profile, start the communication, if things seem promising, go meet up in person with a whole heap of expectations. Yes, I'm generalising things but....this is a lite 'n' easy blog...no heavy stuff.

Anyway, with so much expectations on both sides, I imagine that it must be hard to know when somebody is the right one. There is no time to build up the rapport and everything is based on instant chemistry and so called 'sparks'. You might get rid of the perfect person without really getting to know them. OR you might not even meet them because they couldn't write a winning profile.

PLUS, what about all those jerks out there who aren't really looking for a relationship and aren't honest about it? At least when its face to face, you can sense these things.

Anyways, all this is just speculation on my part. I've never tried online dating (and hope I won't have to) but I really feel for the people who are out there and online.

No comments: