Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Time In Australia

Well, we've had another hot day with a high of 34 degrees Celsius today. Several of my close friends live in the northern hemisphere and are starting to talk about the cold. And, preparing for Christmas.

I've only had one Christmas where things were cold and there was snow about an hour's drive away. Other than that, they've all be hot. So, I'm used to watching movies on TV and listening to Christmas songs about snow, warm fires and the cold while sweating in my tank tops.

I wonder what the people who live in those winter wonderland Christmas places think of my Christmasses. They probably don't give it much thought since it isn't the sizzling Christmasses that are commercialized. Ultimately, it isn't the weather but the company that defines Christmas but I'm still guessing that it must be a strange thought for some people to think of Christmas being hot.

I heard a very funny Christmas song at the concert on Saturday night and thought I'd share the lyrics here. Obviouly, it makes no sense singing about dashing through the snow so here is an Australian version of Jingle Bells:

Dashing through the bush
In a rusty Holden Ute
Kicking up the dust
Esky in the boot
Kelpie by my side
Singing Christmas songs
It's summer time and I am in
My singlet, shorts & thongs

CHORUS:
OH, JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS
JINGLE ALL THE WAY
CHRISTMAS IN AUSTRALIA
ON A SCORCHING SUMMER'S DAY
JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS
CHRISTMAS TIME IS BEAUT
OH WHAT FUN IT IS TO RIDE
IN A RUSTY HOLDEN UTE

Engine's getting hot
Dodge the kangaroos
Swaggy climbs aboard
He is welcome too
All the family is there
Sitting by the pool
Christmas day, the Aussie way
By the barbecue!

CHORUS

Come the afternoon
Grandpa has a doze
The kids and uncle Bruce
Are swimming in their clothes
The time comes round to go
We take a family snap
Then pack the car and all shoot through
Before the washing up

CHORUS

4 comments:

Mike said...

I think a video of you singing this would be in order.

Bilbo said...

What Mike said. We have a blizzard headed east which ought to be here by the weekend...I'll send you some pictures if we get dumped on.

Cynthia said...

I got all the snow you need here:)

Jean-Luc Picard said...

The best thing about Christmas down there is the amount of daylight. Here in Britain, we get so little at Christmas.