Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Baby Will Be Here Soon.....Maybe

"You're having a Christmas baby."

"You're not going to last until 7 January."

"Not long to go now."


Those are the sorts of comments I've been hearing a lot this past week. Even from total strangers.

With Aaron, he came eight days early and that cut out all the anticipation and any waiting time.

And because Aaron was early, I've always had it in the back of my mind that this baby will come early too. I know there is absolutely no scientific reason for it to happen but I've got that sort of expectation built into me already.

So on top of that, there are all these people who look at my belly and say "Its coming soon!" and thats just building the expectation in me even higher. I really prefer not to have all this anticipation but its happening whether I like it or not.

What have I been doing about it? I've read about the 'nesting instinct' where expectant mothers supposedly get this uncontrollable urge to clean, tidy and organize. In the final days of pregnancy, this is often a sign that labor and delivery is close at hand.

I definitely have not been cleaning and have no desire to do so but I have been doing a lot of online organizing. I've set up and checked that anything that can be done online, is set up. I've cleaned up my hard disk and updated all my documents.

The other thing I've been doing is eating. Not to get this baby any bigger but in anticipation of several months of potentially bland food. With Aaron, he seemed to react (by not sleeping) to anything I ate that was not vegetables stir fried with garlic. I couldn't eat anything with too much meat, oil, food additives or flavour. So, I've just been snacking on junk food all day long for the past week.

So back to when this baby is coming out. Who knows?? Sometime in the next two or three weeks? Do I want it before Christmas? Not really. Before New Year's Day? I don't mind. All I know is that it'll come when it comes and in the mean time, I'll be eating lots of junk food, maybe in front of the computer.

4 comments:

Mike said...

"I'll be eating lots of junk food, maybe in front of the computer."

You're going to turn into a techy whether you want to or not.

Bilbo said...

I'm holding out for January 6th...it's my sister's birthday, and so I'll have one less separate date to remember. No matter...I'm ready to be a virtual uncle again.

vw: pednesis - a word you would probably not want to hear from a doctor.

NomadicExpat said...

It's going to be a NY baby! :-)

jmf said...

Feeeeed Meeeee!!!