Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Google Street View of Australia

I think this was launched back in August and I've been meaning to check it out for weeks but kept forgetting. Tonight, I've had my fill of "driving" up and down all the streets that I already drive up and down every day in real life.

I'll have to do some reading up on how they did this. The images are seamless.

It was immediately obvious that the photo of our house was taken on a Tuesday morning, sometime between 7am and 8am. I know this because the rubbish bins are out with their lids flipped open, so the garbage trucks have already come and gone.

I wonder when they are going to update these images. I'll go put something (or maybe myself) in front of our house to liven up the shot.

Here are a few images from life in Brisbane. Use the left/right buttons on the maps to see what I see over here.

Here's the library I mentioned in yesterday's post.

View Larger Map

Turning left at this intersection takes us home. Its also where we cross the street to get to the riverside cycle path that we use to ride to the city (and library above).

View Larger Map

The entrance to my old school, All Hallows School. Funnily, the first thought that came to mind when I looked at this image was the fact that the wall outside the school was built by convicts.

View Larger Map

This is strange. I don't usually get car sick but after driving around all these Google Street views, I don't feel so good right now.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I found google street view recently also. I noticed most of the time there are no people and licence plates on vehicles are blurred out.