13 Facts About Brisbane
1) Brisbane is pronounced "Briz-ban"...rhyming with "urban". BTW, if you didn't know, Keith Urban grew up in Caboolture, a place about an hour from Brisbane.
2) England stopped sending convicts to Brisbane in 1842 and that is when the free settlers starting settling in Brisbane.
3) It is the capital city of the state of Queensland.
4) It is Australia's 3rd largest city with a population of 1.8Million.
5) Two nicknames for Brisbane that come to mind are Brissie and Bris Vegas.
6) There is a casino in the city but I don't know if that it the reason for "Bris Vegas"
7) The timezone here is GMT +10.
8) In my opinion, public transport here is efficient and easily accesible. There are trains, buses, the CityCats (catamarans up and down the Brisbane river) and ferries.
9) There are fantastic cycle paths around Brisbane.
10) Average summer temperature is 30 degrees Celsius and average day time temperature in winter is around 15-17 degrees Celsius.
11) As of June 2008, Brisbane's median house price is AUD 495,000.
12) There are still many beautiful Queenslanders around. I'm not referring to the residents of Queensland. This is a type of house has been common in Queensland up to the 1960s. Many of the older suburbs in Brisbane still have many of them and in some areas, it is prohibited to demolish them. These are the types of houses I'm aiming for. Completely out of my budget at the moment but I can dream.
13) Brisbane is a very hilly place. There are some residential streets around here that are literally like a roller coaster ride.