Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dodging Thomas

Aaron's obsession with Thomas the Tank Engine has received a major boost since coming here to Brisbane. I saw a couple of interesting books, and I got it for him. He really enjoys them and will sit alone looking at them for ages. Thats the good part.

The bad part is that Thomas & Friends products are sold everywhere(as opposed to the single location in Palembang). Every toy section we walk past seems to have Thomas prominently displayed.

Sometimes I let him stay and look at the toys. He's good and just squats there, staring, talking to himself about what he sees. Of course, it takes me too long to get him to leave but he's getting the hang of saying goodbye.

Other times, I have to take long detours around the aisle to avoid that blue tank engine.

Yesterday, I was so relieved when we managed to get in and out of the main part of the store without him noticing any toys but as I was rushing him past the checkouts, those sneaky supermarket people had a small Thomas games placed at toddler eye level where mothers don't notice. D'oh!

Thankfully, we don't yet have the problem of Aaron wanting sweets or junk food. But, if he somehow did develop that, there are these new checkout lanes that are confectionery free:



Now, if only they'll have Thomas free checkouts as well.

I have to admit that I did succumb to the bombardment of Thomas & Friends and bought him a little AUD$3 wind up James. I did it after getting him out and safely with my mother. Don't want him realizing yet that we can actually get some of those toys out of the store.

6 comments:

Bilbo said...

Most of our supermarkets have a checkout lane that is free of candy and tabloid newspapers (so we don't have to explain to a first-grader why Sarah Palin is the love child of Elvis Presley and an alien from Alpha Centauri). It's too late to help me with my children, but it will help with the grandchildren...thank goodness.

Cynthia said...

The checkouts my way are the worst! Total meltdown trying to get the kiddos out of the store...

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Thomas must be really big in Australia.

Mike said...

I haven't had the need to pay attention to whats in the checkout lane for awhile. I'm going to have to remember to look next time.

Kellan said...

Confectionary free - I've never seen that before - what a concept. Funny about Thomas - he's such a cutie!

Take care - Kellan

Casey's trio said...

I loved this post! And confectionary free lanes...those don;t exist here. I know I do things to trick my girls now, but one of these days they will know I'm fibbing.