Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Kentucky Fried Chicken

I suppose I should call it KFC these days. The 'Fried' word is conveniently hidden behind an 'F' so that we all don't need to feel as bad for eating it. Anyway, we all know those finger licking good little pieces of chicken have no place in our bodies but it seems that they often have a place in our memories.

A friend and I were chatting the other day and he mentioned that his memories of KFC are forever tied with Sunday Mass. It seems that the church he went to as a child was next to a KFC outlet and he used have to spend the time in church being distracted by the distinct aroma wafting across from next door. KFC became the food of choice for special church related occasions for his family. When his son was baptised, he said he brought a few pieces of KFC along!

My memories of KFC are from a time when my mother was not the health conscious eater that she is now. I remember that she used to tell me that the bones were great to chew on. Anyway, my most vivid memory was of the day that she took my brother and I to watch Superman IV : The Quest for Peace. There was a KFC outlet opposite the Cathay Cinemas in Ipoh and we went there for dinner before the 7.30pm show. I think I was ten years old. There were other times that she took us to KFC but that was the most special.

These days, I still get cravings for some KFC but most of the time, I ignore it. We've also trained Aaron to think that KFC is one of the worst possible foods for him. Occasionally, when I do give in to those cravings and get some Hot and Spicy KFC, I end up enjoying the first few bites and then feeling fat, oily and guilty by the end of the meal. I usually end the meal by saying "I don't ever need to eat that again." But of course, I do. Its definitely a love/hate relationship for us.


2 comments:

Mike said...

We drove by a KFC a couple of days ago and I remember thinking how long it's been since I've been to one.

Bilbo said...

Popeye's is better than KFC, but I don't know if you can get it in Australia.