Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ancestors

I'm running a bit short of time today so I'm sharing a photo.

The lady on the right here is my great-grandmother and the other two are her sisters. The photo was taken around 1910 in Penang, Malaysia. Please click on it for a clearer look.




The women are dressed in the traditional Nyonya sarong and kebaya but the little boy (my grand uncle) has very Western looking clothing on. It appears that he even has a little pocket watch hanging there.

They are all married women and the lady on the left has obviously married a wealthier man than her sisters. Take a look at the gold bracelets, necklaces and anklets that she has on.

Remember my post about people commenting that I don't look like my parents. Well, I think if I did my hair and dressed like these ladies, I'd look like one of them.

4 comments:

Mike said...

"the lady on the left has obviously married a wealthier man"

Like you?

fiona said...

i can see where your looks come from now! it's neat to have a pic from so long ago and to notice the resemblance.

Mike said...

I forgot to add that we'll be expecting a picture of you in full costume, with jewelry!

Cynthia said...

I think if I did my hair and dressed like these ladies, I'd look like one of them;)