Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Serious Toilet Training

We're on day 4 of serious toilet training. The success rate is a big fat ZERO at the moment.

I have been half heartedly trying to train Adrian for nearly six months now. During the school term, I'm just not brave enough to attempt a nappy free fifteen minute drive to school, fifteen minutes of mucking around while Aaron makes his way to the classroom and then and then fifteen minute drive home. And also, Adrian has his activities on at least two mornings and I usually have to go shopping on one of the other days. Hence, half hearted toilet training where he is only nappy free when we're home. Obviously, it hasn't worked at all, especially since some days, there are really only 3 or 4 training hours.

So, its the holidays now and my plan was for Adrian to be absolutely nappy free except for sleep time. I have caught every pee so far but I'm not counting that as success because he hasn't told me when he needs to go. As for the other stuff, I have caught nothing and it has been everywhere. I spend ages in the bathroom with him reading, singing, telling stories and whatever else but nothing happens. And as soon as we leave the bathroom, EVERYTHING happens. Why? Why? Why?

To relieve the frustration, I've gone in search of some toilet training humour. Here's a funny story...


A young couple was expecting a visit from the pastor of their church. 

They wanted everything to go smoothly, but their two year old son was just getting the hang of potty training.

He was at the stage where he would announce at the top of his voice, "I gotta pee," when he had to go to the bathroom.

His father, worried that this might be embarrassing when the minister came to call, instructed the child, "Don't shout that you've got to pee. Whisper!"

That evening the pastor makes his visit. He's there a very long time while the parents are in the kitchen preparing the meal. The two year old is leaning on one foot and the other.

Finally, the minister asks him, "What's the matter, son?"

The child looks at him and says, "I've gotta whisper!"

The pastor says, "It's all right, child. Whisper in my ear."


2 comments:

NomadicExpat said...

My cousin told me that she had no success with toilet training her daughter until she bought this kids book on that topic, read it to her one day and somehow, something connected up there and VOILA! She was toilet trained from then on. Let me know if you want me to ask her the name of the book etc.

Mike said...

I would give you a hint but it's been way to long to even begin to remember any tricks. But you'll get even better with your third kid.