Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Exponential Defiance

I've mentioned before that I don't have a stressful life. I do find that I have a lot of tension in me though. Probably from the daily frustration of needing to repeat instructions multiple times before getting any sort of response. And, this has been increasing exponentially in recent days.... [Yes, I know they don't call it the terrible twos for nothing]

Firstly, I have to say that Aaron is a really great little guy for 99% of the day. He is truly funny, helpful, quick to learn and a pleasure to be around. But for 1% of the day, I could really just throw him in the store room under the stairs and lock the door. I haven't done that of course but he gets me so mad.

Its as if he has to fill a quota of defying me each day. He could be happily picking up his toys and will come to the last one, then refuse to move it the 30cm left to place them IN the cupboard. The intensity of his refusal then spirals upwards at an unimaginably fast rate. Before I know it, he's crying/sobbing as if I had really locked him in the store room. I've noticed this happening over the most trivial of non-issues! And, its happening more frequently. (He's 2 years, 3 months and 21 days old)

Anyway, I'm big on exercise and have always known that a good workout session fixes any day. Recently, I've found a SUPERB way for quick release of all tension and bringing on a immediate smile.

I've been going for this gym class called Body Attack (It attacks my body by making me jump/hop/bop/lunge on the spot for 55 minutes). Somewhere towards the end of the class, there is a very short section, probably no more than a minute and a half where there are sequences of jumping up and stomping down hard with both feet. Just like a toddler in the middle of a tantrum. I LOVE IT! You all must try it. Do it on a wooden floor with sports shoes on. It makes a lot of noise and it feels great. Once I'm back in Palembang, I'll have to do this all by myself. OR maybe I'll just join in with Aaron if he ever throws a tantrum!

5 comments:

Bilbo said...

Perhaps the gym could market the body attack class to parents as the "Throw Your Own Tantrum" class. How cool would that be? The gym Agnes and I used to belong to had a "body attack" class, but I took the "body flow" class instead...more yoga and tai chi and stretching than bouncing around on aging joints.

Mike said...

ALRIGHT!! She does a stealth statistics post!

Exponential
99% of the day
1% of the day
30cm left
He's 2 years, 3 months and 21 days old
55 minutes

Was this a test or an accident?

Kellan said...

He sounds like a great little boy, but ... I guess that all have these times of defiance - stretching their wings and trying to be independent and see how far they can push boundaries. He's a cutie!

Take care - Kellan

Jean-Luc Picard said...

1% is a pretty good score of irritation. For some it is 99% irritation!

Unknown said...

Amanda, so what's wrong with the cupboard under the stairs?????