Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Naughty Square

I think I've mentioned before that Aaron seems to have sudden spurts in his development each time we go on a holiday. This trip is no different and I'm of course the proud mother, marveling at all the new things he's learning.

I'm also fast becoming an exasperated mother because he seems so much more uncontrollable here than in Palembang. Our routine in Palembang never changes and I guess he just knows what to expect next. And, also knows whats expected of him.

Over here, we have different routines daily, we meet different people and are in different places throughout the day. He has had several mini tantrums and has developed an annoying habit of ignoring instructions. This is especially true if there are other people (like my parents) around. He's still manageable 80% of the time if I'm alone with him.

So today, we have started to give him a 2 minute Time Out. There is a dedicated 'Naughty Square' in the house and we tried it out for the first time today. I'm not sure if he understands the whole concept but he definitely got more upset after we kept putting him on that square. I don't know whether to interpret this as him learning a lesson or just him getting very confused, hence upset.

I keep hearing about the infamous 'Terrible Twos' and felt I had to do something to prepare for it all. I believe that my parents smacking me did me some good but I'm going to try not to do that with Aaron because he has already smacked me back once when I did something he didn't like. So, the Time Out seems to be something that many parents claim to work (and about the only thing I remember from Supernanny episodes). Of course, I have no idea if it actually works at this age but its worth a try.

5 comments:

Mike said...

"He has had several mini tantrums and has developed an annoying habit of ignoring instructions."

Get used to it. It's a "guy" thing.

Cynthia said...

It's a tough age...Miss Peach has her moments of "terrible" as well:(

elizabeth embracing life said...

Two things to ponder at this age. Always, if possible remove your child from the action, or other people. Then take his precious face into your hands and make sure he is making eye contact with you, and then give him the direction and instruction.

I think, particularly with boys they are so easily distracted with what is going on around them, that half the stuff they really don't get. This has been very affective with all five of my kids, and to this day, even my 20 year old will say "mom look at my eyes". I love this.

It's a huge challenge, this age, but your are doing a terrific job and being mindful of what works best for your child. I have been so busy with moving I have not been able to keep up with blogs and I love reading yours so I am back for more reading. Blessings.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Once again, I feel ya! We also have started the 'timeout' spot which so far has just made him MORE mad - oh the fun, eh? :)

Tough love, gotta do it.

Bilbo said...

I think my boss has been reading your blog. He now makes me sit in the Naughty Square when I mess up a project...

And Mike's right...