Friday, April 30, 2010

Still Around 30

I had an action packed birthday at SeaWorld yesterday. Years and years and years ago, I used to wish my parents would take me to places like SeaWorld for my birthday. Well, that never happened since my birthday is right in the middle of Term 2 of any school year.

So this year, I said I wanted to spend the day there. Of course I've been there before and it definitely doesn't provide the same thrills as it did twenty five years ago but I wanted to go because of Aaron. Its such a cliche to say this but the energy and excitement that he let out yesterday was one of the greatest gifts I could have received. Five birthdays ago, I would never have imagined myself feeling that there was nothing better to receive for one's birthday than an indulgent day with my son.

He was the perfect kid all day. No complaints when we waited for the shows, no frustrations while we waited in line for rides and no whinging during the car trip there and back. WOW!!! We took him on a couple of the non-kiddy rides which would definitely have been scary for a little guy but he liked it. I wish we had a photo of him coming down the Flume ride but the camera battery was flat.

Age is definitely just a number but I still prefer to be 'around 30' instead of 'around 40'. So for rounding purposes I'm glad I'm still 'around 30' but the thought of being 'mid 30s' will definitely take a little getting used to.

I got a whole lot of birthday wishes that I'm excited to go respond to now. Most of it came via email and Facebook but I also had two pleasant surprises in the mail. Snail mail and parcels aren't dead after all...

5 comments:

Bilbo said...

...had I not been so calendarly challenged, I would have sent you a real card by snail-mail. However, as my children will tell you, I **never** get cards out on time to anyone who does not live within hand delivery radius.

Amanda said...

Bilbo : Its the thought that counts :) By the way, I didn't take you up on the latest letter writing offer because I know I would have been too slow at replying these days.

John A Hill said...

Amanda, When my wife turned fifty, I told her that she was finally going to have to stop telling people that she was "close to forty" when talking about her age!

Mike said...

You mentioned your BD on my blog and I forgot to come here and wish you HBD. That's what happens when you get old.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Good to know you had a fab time.