Tuesday, January 22, 2008

We are learning together.

Aaron is a really sweet and loving kid. He is an absolute joy to be around. But as he grows, he's also starting to test his limits. Part of the learning package for the both of us! Here's what we were thrown today.

8am - Big fuss at the supermarket because he wanted to be carried but I wanted him to walk. He clung to my leg, pleading and making a huge scene....probably making me look like a CRUEL mother....but I just kept walking. I stuck to my decision because I'm worried that he's going to be one of those kids who always wants to be carried.

10am - Dirty diaper and runaway toddler. I don't know what it is. Why does he keep pretending that he hasn't done anything when he clearly knows he has? Doesn't he want to be fresh and clean?

1pm - He only had 2 mouthfuls left of his lunch. Whats the big deal? I should have just let him get away with it but once again, I'm worried that if I let him push the limits a little, he'll push it a lot the next time. This wasn't an all out tantrum but it was definitely a battle of wills.

6pm - This is the time when we have the biggest and loudest protest from Aaron every day. Bath Time. Two weeks ago, he would have the major meltdown when we try to take him out of the bath. This week, he has it when we start to move him towards the bathroom. I have no idea how he went from loving his bath to hating it so much that I have resorted to having a shower together with him because I can't get him off me and into the bath.

At the end of the day, as I put him to sleep, I said to him "Will you be a good boy tomorrow and not cry so much?" Of course, he says "Yes". Then it was our usual "I love you" and "Good Night". Then came my end of day surprise. Unexpectedly, Aaron suddenly hopped on top of me and gave me a big hug. Its was the first unprompted hug from him.

4 comments:

Bilbo said...

Aaron is 17 months old, is he not? Ah, Amanda, you are fast approaching the Terrible Twos. I hate to tell you, but it's going to get worse before it gets better. That's why babies are so cute when first born - so we remember how cute they used to be and fight down the urge to take them back to the hospital for a refund. But hang in there - eventually, the Terrible Twos will be over and you can look forward to ... the Teenage Years! You can scream now.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

That hug must have bought you a lot of joy.

Serina Hope said...

the terrible twos have reared their ugly head. They start at one and end at 5...6...7

NomadicExpat said...

Awwww how cute. I think when he's in his teens, you probably wish he was two again!