Thursday, January 10, 2008

Deep Fried Devils

I've been trying to stay healthy by sticking to my daily routine of having oats with bananas for breakfast. Unfortunately, my father has been tempting me with all sorts of after-breakfast treats.

These are called Yow Chow Gwai in Cantonese. The literal translation that my family has been using is "Deep Fried Devils".



It really is an evil food that is way too unhealthy to be consumed regularly. The devils are basically deep fried sticks of fluffy but firm batter. Some people dip this into black coffee but I eat mine just as they are. Crunchy on the outside and soft and a little hollow on the inside. Here's a photo of the mother and son duo who owned the store.



They also sold many other delicious little breakfast tidbits.



The dish on the left, topped with the red chillies and green shallots is a type of yam cake. To the right of the photo, the 'pyramids' wrapped in green banana leaf and newspaper is Nasi Lemak (Coconut Rice with Sambal). Next to the Nasi Lemak are egg tarts, another one of my favorites. And in the background, there are Glutinous Rice with chicken and variations on the original Deep Fried Devils (they vary the shape and fillings).

Tell me. How can I possibly resist food like this? And each day, my father takes me to a place that is similarly enticing!

8 comments:

Bilbo said...

Amanda, you must have the metabolism of a hummingbird to be surrounded by all this evil food and not be the size of the Goodyear Blimp. If it were me, I'd weigh a ton and be two meters wide. AARRGGHH!! Now I'm hungry, and it's still a half-hour until lunch...

Cynthia said...

Oh man...I gotta go get some lunch!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Over here, we'd be warned about eating delicious food like that.

Kellan said...

I couldn't resist! I'd love some of those deep fried devils - YUM! Take care. Kellan

John A Hill said...

Mmmmm....looks soooo good!

Serina Hope said...

That looks really good. Your Dad just wants you to have a good visit. Calories don't count on vacation, right? This is sort od like vacation, right? lol

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

You're asking the wrong gal, you had me at 'DEEP FRIED'! :)

Anonymous said...

it's yau char guai, not 'chow'. char is deep-fried, 'chow' is stir-fried