Friday, March 30, 2007

Booby Babies

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Yes, it sounds like a long time but it doesn't mean that I've forgotten those painful, stressful, tiring, not at all magical first few weeks. Why don't people tell you that breastfeeding isn't as natural as people think it is? BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW.

If it weren't for a wonderful lactation consultant in Kuala Lumpur, I'm sure I would have given up by week 3. One can only take so much pain from blocked ducts and cracked nipples! But thats all in the past and now, Aaron and I have a wonderful BF relationship.

I love it now. I don't really want to think about when to wean. The WHO recommends BF for 2 years so.....I'll just use that as a faraway marker. If he wants to stop earlier, thats ok. It just means he's ready.

When I get the time, I'm going to come up with little document that will help new mothers get started with BF. Something that is practical so that new mothers will have the confidence to continue in the face of criticism from the older generations. The grandmothers all mean well but that 60s and 70s were so pro formula that they have little knowledge of BF, its benefits and its mechanics.

No comments: